We are concerned in a number of ways with the communities around the world in which we do our business.
We deliver our community strategy through:
- Running programmes which reflect the diversity of communities in which we operate
- Encouraging employees to be involved in community activities such as volunteering
- Building local education and training links particularly in deprived areas
- Partnering with community organisations and charities
- Encouraging environmental sustainability on a corporate, community and individual level
So what does this mean in practice?
Edwards has a number of community projects which benefit a range of different groups:
In the UK we:
- Run a ‘Give as you earn’ scheme for employees through the payroll and support other employee-driven schemes such as ‘fundraising for Children in Need' organised by our Crawley-based customer care section.
- Through a long standing relationship with the Industrial Trust, support Computer Aided Design (CAD) training courses at several Sussex schools - partnering Dassault Systems, Applied CAE, the University of Brighton, and Setpoint Sussex. As part of this, Edwards offer a mentor to work with students, helping develop closer links with local schools as a means of engaging with potential future apprentices, as well as offering current employees a development opportunity.
- Through our Clevedon facility near Bristol, support the Children's Hospice South West. Children’s Hospice South West provides the only hospice care to terminally ill children and their families in the South West region. Our aim is to fund the provision of a child nurse for the hospice.
In September 2009, for the second year running, we sponsored and our employees won the Corporate Challenge Fundraiser in Exmoor
- Support St Catherine's Hospice near our global HQ in Crawley. St Catherine’s Hospice is a charity dedicated to providing specialised end of life care and support to local people, their families, friends and carers. In September 2009 we sponsored and competed in the Dragon Boat Festival. In October 2009 we are donating the substantial proceeds of surplus funds from our sports and social club to St Catherine's.
- Contributed to the Chinese Earthquake appeal via the UK Red Cross in 2008.
In the US we:
- Manage a matching funds programme for educational institutions
- Sponsor employees who participate in fund raising events
- Allow two paid days off for voluntary service, one for a personal charity and one for an Edwards initiative
In Asia we:
Encourage community involvements programmes through local committees who organise charitable events on an annual basis:
In Singapore: we organise a year-end charitable event for the elderly under a public-assistance scheme and we assisted a local children's home.
In Taiwan: we collected used books, clothes and toys from employees and donated them to the Taiwan Fund for Children and Families raising over $8,000 for the fund.
In Korea: we fund two scholarships worth 10 million won and 5 million won. This is to sponsor students majoring in the semiconductor and flat panel display industries and is coordinated by the Korean Semiconductor Association.
In Japan: We made donations in 2006 and 2007 to help the Japanese earthquake victims.